Some Resources for CONTEXT of this Parable:
What is the meaning of the Parable of the Talents? – GotQuestions.Org
The Parable of the Talents – J.C. Ryle
The Parable of the Talents – Matthew Henry
Be Faithful!- The Talents – Dr. Ligon Duncan
Interestingly this parable is found only in the Gospel of Matthew. Although some have called into question Biblical Allegories recently this parable has clear allegorical implications:
• The man leaving on a journey represents Jesus.
• This journey represents Jesus’ ascension to heaven.
• The servants represent True Christians who are awaiting the Second Coming of Christ.
• The talents represent all the blessings (financial, social, intellectual, athletic, etc.) God has given us.
• The Lord or Master’s return represents Jesus’ Second Coming.
• The Lord or Master’s judgment of the faithfulness of the servants represents Jesus’ judgment of us (all peoples including True Believers) on Judgment Day.
What are the consequences for “Christians” living a fruitless or unfaithful life? Jesus makes it abundantly clear in v.30 (AMP) And throw out the worthless servant into the outer darkness; in that place [of grief and torment] there will be weeping [over sorrow and pain] and grinding of teeth [over distress and anger].
The only question remains are you faithful and fruitful?