Prayer Series XXXVI
We are deviating from our series on the Lord’s Prayer today, as this devotional image came across my computer this morning and it reminded me it had been a while since we had posted about praying for our nation(s).
We can and should as “Christians” have anger or hatred (righteous indignation) towards the actions of those appointed over us by God when those actions go against God’s Holy Word. Yet we are commanded to be obedient (unless that obedience violates God’s law) and to PRAY for them.
Considering the events in Canada, Finland, Ukraine, and here in the USA, not to mention the proliferation of Christian Persectututions I would suggest these governments (and more) need an abundance of PRAYER.
CONTEXT: 1 Timothy is all about leading a church. Here in Chapter two, Paul urges the church to PRAY, first and foremost for those whom God has set over them Romans 13:1-6, 1 Peter 2:13-17.
Matthew Poole in his commentary breaks down the chapter as follows:
1 Timothy 2:1-3 Paul exhorteth to pray and give thanks for all men, for kings and magistrates especially.
1 Timothy 2:4-6 God willeth the salvation of all men.
1 Timothy 2:7 Paul’s commission to teach the Gentiles.
1 Timothy 2:8-10 He directeth how women should be attired,
1 Timothy 2:11-14 permits them not to teach,
1 Timothy 2:15 promiseth that they shall be saved by child-bearing on certain conditions.
One last comment about context, in the first chapter, Paul 1 Timothy 1:18-20 urges Timothy to beware of those who have left the true faith. The AMP version says: for some [people] have rejected [their moral compass] and have made a shipwreck of their faith. We must pray for these people also, those that spread unbiblical lies like (abortion, same-sex unions, etc. are okay) will fall on deaf ears.
Seven Prayers for national Leaders
(Note I would include regional and local leaders also)
- Pray for the conversion of our national leaders and that they live lives of sincere commitment to Christ. (I Timothy 2:4)
- Pray that our leaders facilitate our ability to live peaceable lives, not troubled ones. (I Timothy 2:1-2)
- Pray that our leaders recognize God’s ultimate authority and that they are subservient to Him. (Psalm 22:8)
- Pray that God will confound evil leaders’ plans and turn their evil devices into foolishness. (2 Samuel 15:31)
- Pray that the unified attempts of wicked leaders to thwart God’s ways will be broken up as were those at the Tower of Babel. (Genesis 11:7)
- Pray that evil leaders lose their platforms and avenues of dispersing an anti-God message and agenda. (Proverbs 21:30)
- Pray that evil leaders have their plans turned back on them, as did Haman in the book of Esther. (Esther 7 and Proverbs 28:10)