Chapter 5, begins by reminding true believers that they can overcome the turmoil of this world v.1-5 through the power of Christ. in v.6-12, John also reminds us that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, and life begins with Him. Finally in John wraps up the Chapter and Book with v.13-21, reassuring true believers that they can know they have eternal life.
Our text for today comes from the latter and expresses perfectly John’s and the Holy Spirit’s meaning:
- We (true believers) can have confidence in Christ
- We can ask anything of Him according to His will, NOT OURS
- He hears all those petitions
- Because those petitions are in God’s will we have no fear of them not being heard, not being granted, for we put our Faith, our Trust in the Sovereignty of God.
1 John 5:13-15 – Praying and Waiting by C H Spurgeon
- 1 John 5:14-15 – Praying According to God’s Will by P G Mathew
- Our Confidence in a Hearing and Answering God – 1 John 5:14-15 by S Lance Quinn