I have written extensively about the “heart” of the man and how messed up it can be, you can search in the box to the right to see the other posts.
Mark Chapter 7 begins with most modern translations having a heading something similar to; That which defiles, The Traditions of the Elders, Traditions and Commandments, or my two favorites; Jesus Teaches about Inner Purity (NLT) and Lo que contamina al hombre (What pollutes man) RVR 1960.
Today’s main text comes from Mark 7:14-23, depending on your translation you may have another heading the AMP for example begins the Chapter with Followers of Traditions and adds The Heart of Man.
The world would have us believe that man is essentially good yet the bible and mankind’s everyday actions throughout history would completely contradict that belief.
Here is Pastor Alistair Begg explaining why:
“The Heart of the Matter”
Other Resources and Sermons:
Mark 7:20-23 – Hideous DiscoveryPDF Sermon by C H Spurgeon
Google Expository Preaching and you will find an exhaustive list of responses to the topic. Among them are many varying books and “helps” on the topic of what Expository Preaching is all about. Most churches that practice “Expositional” preaching that I have been to think this means going through a book verse by verse and explaining it. But does it? Alistair Begg of https://www.truthforlife.org/ shares this easy to understand two-part study on the subject.
— Here on Truth For Life, you’ve likely heard us talk about the importance of expository Bible teaching. But what exactly does that phrase mean? Why does it matter? Get the answers when you listen to Truth For Life with Alistair Begg.
— Tragically, in many churches today, you’re more likely to hear the pastor’s opinions preached rather than God’s Word. So how do we identify solid Bible teaching? What does it mean to preach directly from Scripture? Discover the answer when you listen to Truth For Life with Alistair Begg!
Maybe it was the recent death of mi suegra (mother-in-law) here in Puerto Rico from where I am writing today that got me thinking about parenting. But I have been thinking a lot the past few weeks of all the things I SHOULD have done better as a Father. Maybe just maybe this will help someone from making the same mistakes as me?
Audio/MP3 by Alistair Begg
John Bunyan on Prayer, Three part series we posted earlier this year
- Groanings which cannot be uttered are often prayers which cannot be refused. — Spurgeon
- God shapes the world by prayer. The more praying there is in the world the better the world will be, the mightier the forces against evil. — E.M. Bounds
- It is possible to move men, through God, by prayer alone. — Hudson Taylor
- Worship and intercession must go together; the one is impossible without the other. Intercession means that we rouse ourselves up to get the mind of Christ about the one for whom we pray. — Oswald Chambers
- Prayer is the exercise of drawing on the grace of God. — Oswald Chambers
- Prayer is not monologue, but dialogue; God’s voice is its most essential part. Listening to God’s voice is the secret of the assurance that he will listen to mine. — Andrew Murray
- To desire revival… and at the same time to neglect (personal) prayer and devotion is to wish one way and walk another. — A.W. Tozer
- God looks not at the oratory of your prayers, how elegant they may be; nor at the geometry of your prayers, how long they may be; nor at the arithmetic of your prayers, how many they may be; not at logic of your prayers, how methodical they may be; but the sincerity of them he looks at. – Thomas Brooks
The following is a list of my top 10 authors, pastors, and theologians along their various resources on Prayer, available by clicking on their names.
Martin Lloyd Jones
My brothers and sisters, if anyone among you strays from the truth and falls into error and [another] one turns him back [to God], 20 let the [latter] one know that the one who has turned a sinner from the error of his way will save that one’s soul from death and cover a multitude of sins [that is, obtain the pardon of the many sins committed by the one who has been restored]. (AMP)
Hermanos, si alguno de entre vosotros se ha extraviado de la verdad, y alguno le hace volver, 20 sepa que el que haga volver al pecador del error de su camino, salvará de muerte un alma, y cubrirá multitud de pecados. (RVR 1960)
By Charles Haddon Spurgeon /
Other Sermons to Enjoy:
Saving a Soul from Death, John MacArthur (text)
Restoring the Wanderers
Audio/MP3 by Geoff Thomas
Audio/MP3 by Alistair Begg