April 3, 2020 by directorfsm
The 12th Chapter of Hebrews begins with the following verse:
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
let us run with patience the race is clearly a metaphor for a call to “endurance” but even so much more than that; note what is said:
- We have a goal set before us
- This aim, goal, calling is known and defined
- God appointed it and the path we shall run towards it
- There are many witnesses some fellow believers to encourage us and some non-believers to mock and discourage us on our journey
- We are to make steady (patient) progress in our race
- Out efforts will be encumbered or weighed down with sin and worldly issues making the race very hard
So how is one to actually finish strong or endure until the end of the race? How can we proclaim like the Apostle Paul I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: (2 Tim 4:7). That is the answer FAITH, Sola Fide, Faith ALone in Christ Jesus, Sola Christus, in Christ alone.
Where are you in life’s race today?