One of the most common arguments against Covenant or Reformed Theology is that it places all the emphasis on God and none on man’s actions. The most frequent example (usually in a sarcastic manner) is so y’all don’t need to evangelize because God deals with all that. My answer is let us READ THE BOOK!
a lo cual os llamó mediante nuestro evangelio, para alcanzar la gloria de nuestro Señor Jesucristo. (RVR 1960)
In v.13 Paul has written God chose you as the firstfruits[d] through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth. Note the following:
- God did the choosing not man
- the Holy Spirit sets apart and makes holy
- by our belief in hearing the truth
In our main text we see the following clearly:
- He (God) called us, again it is God doing the action not us
- Through our Gospel, that is the evangelism of the Apostles and the preaching of the Word of God
- Why evangelize if God has all this under His control?
- So that others can hear the Word and obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ
- Evangelism is commanded of all True Believers (Matthew 28:18-20)
- All True Believers are ready and able to share the Good News of Christ in them (1 Peter 3:15)
- It is through the sharing of the Gospel (Evangelizing) that others may be saved by God (Our main text, Romans 10:14-17, and more)