Chapter 11, can be broken down as follows: Christ’s preaching. (1) Christ’s answer to John’s disciples. (2-6) Christ’s testimony to John the Baptist. (7-15) The perverseness of the Jews. (16-24) The gospel revealed to the simple. The heavy-laden invited. (25-30) – Matthew Henry
As Matthew Henry points out our text v.28 is part of the invite to the heavily laden by Christ. There are three quick points I wish to make, that I gleaned from the text before we come on the sermon and other materials:
- It is only through Christ Alone that the invite can go out
- The invite is directed only towards those burdened by sins
- Only Christ, by His atonement at Calvary, can provide rest from that burden
Come – Matthew 11:28 by J C Ryle
Come Unto Me All Ye That Labor Thomas Boston
The Rest of Christ by A W Pink
The Yoke of Christ – Matthew 11:28 by A W Pink
The Present and Future Rest of True Believers – Matthew 11:28 by John Newton
Christ’s Gracious Invitation – Matthew 11:28 by Archibald Alexander
Come, All Who Are Weary Desiring God Ministries
Rest, Rest C.H. Spurgeon
A Knowledge of God By Dr. M. Lloyd-Jones
John Bunyan on Prayer, Three part series we posted earlier this year
- Groanings which cannot be uttered are often prayers which cannot be refused. — Spurgeon
- God shapes the world by prayer. The more praying there is in the world the better the world will be, the mightier the forces against evil. — E.M. Bounds
- It is possible to move men, through God, by prayer alone. — Hudson Taylor
- Worship and intercession must go together; the one is impossible without the other. Intercession means that we rouse ourselves up to get the mind of Christ about the one for whom we pray. — Oswald Chambers
- Prayer is the exercise of drawing on the grace of God. — Oswald Chambers
- Prayer is not monologue, but dialogue; God’s voice is its most essential part. Listening to God’s voice is the secret of the assurance that he will listen to mine. — Andrew Murray
- To desire revival… and at the same time to neglect (personal) prayer and devotion is to wish one way and walk another. — A.W. Tozer
- God looks not at the oratory of your prayers, how elegant they may be; nor at the geometry of your prayers, how long they may be; nor at the arithmetic of your prayers, how many they may be; not at logic of your prayers, how methodical they may be; but the sincerity of them he looks at. – Thomas Brooks
The following is a list of my top 10 authors, pastors, and theologians along their various resources on Prayer, available by clicking on their names.
Martin Lloyd Jones
As I noted yesterday in the post What is a Reformed Baptist? one of the greatest misconceptions about anyone in adhering to tenets of Reformed or Covenant Theology is that they do not care about evangelism. It stems from the aversion to the term Unconditional Election but holds no foundation in biblical or historical truth.
The following comes from A Puritans Mind, please note that while they chose the word Witnessing (sharing personal testimony) they really mean Evangelizing (Declaring the Good News (salvation) through Christ Alone).
“But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear,” (1 Peter 3:15).
For Christians with a solid biblical worldview, it is extremely important to them to know how to share their faith, and be ready to give an answer for the truth which lies in both their heart and mind. As a help to this, we ask the question, “How did the Puritans witness to a lost and dying world? How should we learn from their biblical models?” The Puritans were masters at declaring and publishing the Gospel as preachers, and as Christians. We can learn much from their practice.
Online Books and Articles on Witnessing and Evangelism here at A Puritan’s Mind: Note the ones with an * I have read and can recommend
Joseph Alleine’s, A Sure Guide to Heaven PDF.
*Thomas Brook’s, Young Men Exhorted to Come to Christ PDF.
*Thomas Boston’s, The Art of Man Fishing PDF
Ichabod Spencer’s, Pastor’s Sketches (Dealing with Anxious Souls) PDF
*Calvin’s Evangelism by Joel Beeke PDF
Telling People the Truth in Love: A Reformed Approach to Evangelism
Spurgeon’s Three R’s: A Useful Method for Evangelism
What Is Evangelism?
Calvinism and Evangelism